Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Learn Like A Pirate: Peer Collaboration

Ready for some honesty? 
This chapter overwhelmed me...
You ever feel like that? Just totally overwhelmed by a task...
Collaboration is IMPORTANT. 
It's been SO important to me as an educator. It is when I collaborate that I become inspired, excited, encouraged, and honestly it helps me make clear decisions. When I bounce ideas off of someone I trust and respect I feel clear. 
I.am.better.
I'm sure you feel this way too. You're an educator. We thrive on good conversation, solutions to problems, and implementing strategies that work.
This is a major goal of a student-led classroom.
Before I can have a strong student-led classroom I have to teach them how to work together.
They need to learn how to respect each other, empathize, problem-solve, compromise, discuss calmly, and be motivated to participate.
Oof...
See!? I got overwhelmed again just thinking about it.
I've found that the best way to teach a skill is to model the skill. If I want students to be calm, I have to be calm. If I want students to respect one another, I have to respect and treat everyone just the same. It's not always easy, and I'm an adult. 
But it's a part of life, and these are skills they'll use forever. 
*Sidebar: I totally just said forever like that kid from The Sandlot.*
It will be a lot of effort and most definitely doesn't seem easy, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time. When I feel like it's too  hard I'll remind myself that I have the great opportunity to teach these kids something that will help them forever.
That's pretty amazing. 
Not academic, but important, real, and necessary. 
These skills with lead to more success.




No comments:

Post a Comment